Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Crazies

Now most of you already know that George A. Romero is a friend of mine I first met him in 2007 at the Texas Frightmare Weekend and I have seen him a few times ever since. I still laugh at the time that he got my DP friend Brandon Drunk on Absolute Vodka...That was funny as hell. I'm not going to say that we are buds but I always look forward to seeing him at the cons.

Night of the Living Dead is one of my all time favorite flicks and I watch it at least once a year.
Another of my favorites is Creepshow, However one that I just couldnot get into is the Crazies.
Even though I will admit that it has it's more frightening areas in the fact that it is more believable than the Dead Films.

The Crazies is what it will always be an anti Vietnam flick that portrays the military as buffoonish and corrupt. which is a statement that Mr. Romero often places in his movies more and more.

Now lets take this to the present The Crazies has just been remade. Now I think may be the best time to remake the flick. I honestly think that the flick had better production value than the original.

On that side note That is my issue with these big budget remakes is that they are big budgets compared to the low budgets that the originals had. I think that the originals improved on their stories to make up for the lack of proper funding.

Now back on task. What we have here kiddies is the story of a small town that after a plane crashes in their river the town's drinking supply is contaminated by a biological agent that basically makes people go insane. The story focuses on the town sheriff (played by Timothy Olyphant) and his wife (Radha Mitchell) struggling to survive the attacks by the infected "Crazies" as well as the military that has locked down the town to cover up their own screw up.

Like I said earlier the production quality is improved as a result of the budget the flick has a more or less upbeat climax than the original and I feel that the timing of it's release is ether right on time or too late depending on your political views. In other words you will leave the theater feeling that you hate your government or that you really want to go home and pop in 28 Days Later because the plots feel really similar.

23 Dead Bodies
0 Breasts
8 Beasts
Military Villains
Crazed Zombies
Chopper Fu
Truck Fu
Burning
Hanging
Shooting
Implaings with Pitchforks

2 1/2 Stars

Check it out

No comments:

Post a Comment