Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Spit on your Grave (Unrated)


I had been following the remake of I spit on your Grave since I was first told about it in 2008 not to mention that I had the pleasure of meeting the cast and director this past year at the Texas Frightmare Weekend and I really enjoyed my time with them

(By the way anyone interested in seeing the Exclusive QnA of the flick can check out the 2010 TFW DVD on sale Now)

This past week I was fortunate to get invited to an advance screening of the Remake and I have to say, Damn!

Now first off comparing the original to the remake is like Apples and Oranges they are way different. Like I say about most remakes lately it feels like watching a movie that is based on actual events and thinking that it is not accurate. Another thing is that you have a micro budget flick that has been remade with a bigger budget. Now I don’t know how big the budget was but it was definitely more than the original had.

Now for those of you that aren’t familiar with the plot here is the cliff note version.

Jennifer Hill is a writer that rents a cabin in the woods to write a novel and she attracts the attention of some of the local men who one day attack her and brutally rape her, assault her and leave her for dead. She recovers and takes her revenge in some interesting sorts of ways.

Now without giving away too much there is some twists that this remake takes that you may find unexpected or some of you will see it coming. The revenge scenes are in some ways stomach churning and original, in the vein of some recent horror franchises like Hostel and Saw. In one scene I was almost expecting the puppet to come rolling out on a tricycle and announcing that they “Were going to play a little Game”. I feel the need to warn some of the weak of heart that this is not for everyone.

I feel the need to talk about the performance Sarah Butler in the role of Jennifer Hill.
Sarah had a Rage in her character that I found enjoyable. Sarah’s character had an innocence that was destroyed by the events in the film that in a sense she had snapped and becomes sort of a Jason Vorhees of the woods in her attacks and kills. But as they say no Jury would convict her.

The Remake also focuses less on the rapes and more on the torment ant torture that she suffers, Such as having to perform felatio on a gun or being reputedly dunked under water and held. However her attackers are unable to crush her spirit and she never quits.

Like I said it isn’t for everyone.

6 Dead Bodies
2 Breasts
5 Beasts
1 Penis choking
4 Teeth prying
1 Anal Shotgun
Fish Hook Fu
Lye Fu
Bird Fu

3 Stars

Check it out


No comments:

Post a Comment