Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Conspiracy


Well Here we are Kiddies another day of Fantastic Fest. I know that I seem to be a cheerleader for the found footage genre but here is the truth.


I am a documentary filmmaker, I like the narrative genre but I lean far more towards the documentary genre. It really goes back to my childhood and what scared me. When I was a child I watched everything from Halloween to Godzilla and none of it scared me. The movies and such that frightened me was both documentaries and the nightly news. I think the reason is that I know that most of the movies that I watch I know is fiction but documentaries and the news those are reality and the truth is far more frightening than legend.

As a result I naturally gravitate towards the documentaries when I go to a film festival.
 

Today I thought I was doing just that when I heard of this film called The Conspiracy.

I went into this film thinking that it was a documentary about the search for a conspiracy theorist that goes missing. What it turned out to be was another Found footage film.

The plot here is like I said earlier two documentary filmmakers decide to make their subject a conspiracy theorist that they find on the street that talks to people passing by about conspiracies ranging from 9/11 to secret societies.

All goes well until one day the subject mysteriously vanishes without a trace and the filmmakers are left with too many questions as to where he went.

One of them reacts like it doesn’t matter while the other is more driven and will not let it stop. Eventually they are both brought into the world of a secret society that has far more power and reach than they ever thought imaginable and then they are invited to join and as they say the real terror begins.

Unlike many flicks in the subgenre this flick feels more like a documentary than a film. The use of actual footage like the JFK assassination as well as 9/11 footage gives this flick a far more real feel than other documentaries. This is definitely a flick for conspiracy buffs.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment