Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Town That Dreaded Sundown 2014


There are far too many times that the train is passing me by.

As many of you know I have been an avid defender of The Town that Dreaded Sundown and I have been hearing about this upcoming film for the past few years and last year it was finally Green-lit and I basically sat it out.

Now let’s face it I would not have worked on the film anyway so I am not going to be bitter about that fact and I have also been dealing with much in the past couple of years and…well I am not in the Union.

Some of the scenes were in fact filmed in Texarkana but most of the film was shot in Shreveport, LA where the film incentives are better and they will only hire local crew so that they can get the incentives and…well you have heard that rant from me before.

The truth is that here on the Video Creep is that even if I don’t work on a project that I want to work on and it is still a good project I will still give it a good review and that is what separates me from some of the other reviewers and Bloggers on the internet. 

As I stated I had been following the progress of this film and I have to admit that I am impressed.
Now when I first heard of the film I heard that it was a modern day remake and I had to say “Please, Don’t do that” and they Listened.

Now for those of you that are new here to The Video Creep have probably read my article on the Town that Dreaded Sundown 1976 Film.



Now I could have attended the Premiere of the film at Fantastic Fest but again I am still recovering from the fire as well as bringing my production company back from the dead so I had to sit this one out.

I am fortunate that I was able to catch this flick and bring it to you here.

Now this is in fact an interesting direction for this flick similar to some flicks that I have seen the film takes a strange Found Footage esc direction where it does try to market itself as a real incident.

Now again the 1976 film is based on actual incidents that took place in 1946 that is best known as The Phantom Killer or the Moonlight Murders where a masked killer took the lives  5 people and injured 3 others  in Texarkana and despite being pursued by the Arkansas and Texas State police as well as the Texas Rangers was never apprehended and to this day’s identity remains unknown.

The 2014 documentary film Killer Legends also features this story and even a comparison to the film and the actual events while also pointing out its connection to the Hook-man Urban Legend.

Now American Horror Story’s Alfonso Gomez-Rejon has taken the reigns for a film of his own and he has done his research on the tale of the Phantom Killer. However like it’s 1976 Counterpart this film changes the name in the historical facts of the case. I’ll talk about this shortly but let us move on to the film.

Taking place 64 Years after the original Phantom’s reign of terror the town of Texarkana hosts screenings of the Town That Dreaded Sundown (Which Really Happens) and after Corey (Spencer Treat Clark) and Jami (Addison Timlin) choose to leave the screening and park at a lovers Lane where they are attacked by another masked assailant who kills Corey and leaves Jami for dead to tell all that the Phantom has returned.

Jami has her own tragic past with the death of her parents at a young age that is in fact loosely related to the legacy of the Phantom Killer is being sought out by both the town as well as stalked by the killer.

The Phantom Killer at first chooses his victims in similar fashion to the way that they are taken out in the film and the town both tries to cover up the murders while assuring that this is not a repeat of over half a century ago. Needless to say the town once again lives in fear of the masked villain while Jami and her new boyfriend researches not just the case but look to the original film to solve the mystery of not only the Phantom’s identity but why is he here now.

I should mention that unlike the original film in this flick The Phantom Speaks, and makes calls which definitely gives the film a Scream feel and Scream did reference the original film.

I really like the fact that this film takes place in a universe where the original film was in fact made but referenced and Charles B. Pierce’s son does have a character while he is played by an actor. The film is also edited into this film and inter-cut with the action to make the comparison.

Now there are some issues with the film.

When the murders start up again once again a Texas Ranger that is nicknamed “The Lone Wolf” arrives on the scene to find the killer as well as his assistant “Spark Plug”. Now this is where I have to ask the questions such as What are the chances of this happening. Not too good and they are trying to make good references to the original film while trying to establish this flick as a remake but the characters are in the film only briefly and as the authorities are shown to be only supporting characters as well as comic relief.

Now that is probably my only issue with the film despite the fact that it was primarily shot in Louisiana instead of Texas but if that is my only issue that has to be a good thing.

Visually the film was outstanding especially with the earlier mentioned use of the original film but also the use of locations in the town as well and the opening credits have to also be mentioned.

The Cast is also amazing with Veronica Cartwright as Jami's Grandmother, Gary Cole as one of the Sheriffs and Anthony Anderson joining the cast as Lome Wolf and Danielle Harris has a cameo role in the film as well. 


Sadly this is among the final films for two of it’s actors as Ed Lauter who played one of the Sheriffs in the film passed away in 2013 as well as Edward Herrmann who passed away on New Year’s Eve in 2014.

13 Dead Bodies
2 Breasts
2 Beasts
1 Compound Fracture
1 Bullet to the eye
3 Stabbings
The Trombone kill Remains
1 Human Scarecrow
Hands Roll
Heads Roll

3 ½ Stars

Check it out.

  






No comments:

Post a Comment