Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Homefront


As I stated in a recent review that Sylvester Stallone is an accomplished filmmaker and I have to admit that I am a fan of his work, I have just left a screening of his recent Homefront and I know what you are all thinking that isn’t a Stallone film and I have to say that yes it is. Sly wrote the adapted the screenplay as well as produced the film.

Based on the novel by Chuck Logan Homefront follows Logan’s famous character Phil Broker (Jason Statham), a DEA agent who after a bust where the son of the man that he arrested was killed Broker resigns from the DEA and two years later after the death of his wife moves with his daughter to a small town in Louisiana.

After his daughter gets into a scuffle which leads to a confrontation with the parents and after Broker defends himself the mother (Kate Bosworth) enlists the aid of her brother Gator (James Franco) who is the local meth kingpin.

Eventually Gator learns Broker’s identity and decides to sell this information to the incarcerated drug lord who still blames Broker for the death of his son.

Gator is aided by his girlfriend (Winona Ryder) all leading to a action-packed and explosive climax.

I was amazed by the cast of the film, Winona Ryder in particular just this flick Ryder is definitely playing against type which I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised and felt like she should be on Sons of Anarchy in the near future.

I also want to point out Clancy Brown is once again playing the local Sheriff which seems to be the role that he is constantly playing. He played the Sheriff in Pet Cemetery 2, Sleepy Hollow, and now this flick. I am not complaining because I know that Brown has far more range from the Kurgan to Lex Luthor. I never get tired of this actor.

With Kate Bosworth and the location I at times felt that I was watching the Straw Dogs remake and James Franco is also great in the film.

Homefront is a flick that will definitely find its audience in home video and should not be long till it is on Netflix and On Demand.  

Worth a look

5 Dead Bodies
0 Breasts
1 Explosion
1 Car Chase with no crash and burn
Gratuitous Aerial Footage of the roads and rivers


2 ½ Stars  


No comments:

Post a Comment