Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Escape Plan


There are some people that I have to say that they still have it. There are some that many say don’t have it anymore. These two fall in the former. I don’t know what It is but Sly and Arnold I’ll still see a flick that they are in and this flick is a double treat.

Now let us look back in the past almost 20 years ago when these two had their own friendly rivalry. Now I have to admit that I was more of a fan of Stallone than Arnold but that is my own preference as my friend Keath is an avid Arnold Schwarzenegger fan.

Now as far as my days when I was into bodybuilding many will credit Arnold but I have to admit that I leaned more towards Ferrigno as my inspiration. However in my career as a filmmaker I often credit Stallone as one of my many inspirations.

Not that I am counting out Schwarzenegger I love his flick but if I had to pick one it would be Stallone.

Now both of them have their Iconic characters Arnold as we all know is the Terminator as well as his roles in the original Predator and as John Matrix in Commando.

Granted Arnold had a couple of flicks that I have been trying to forget such as Junior, and Batman and Robin.

Stallone has always returned to his own sagas with the Rambo and Rocky and Expendables films and he has also had a few misses like Stop or my Mom Will Shoot.

Stallone is also a skilled writer and director while Schwarzenegger has remained in the public eye with his efforts as the Governor of California which I am not going to comment on the outcome on that since I don’t live there yet.

Now The Escape Plan would have more impact but the Expendables beat it to the punch which is why this film probably didn’t get the attention that it deserved but that is the business.

The Escape Plan follows the character of Ray Breslin (Stallone) who makes his living breaking out of prisons and helping them work on their security with his partners. When hired by the government to work on a State of the Art Government prison Breslin is betrayed and kept in the prison under the cruel treatment by Warden Willard Hobbes (Jim Caviezel) there he meets Emil Rottmayer (Schwarzenegger) who becomes his partner in the efforts to break out of the prison.

Now many will complain about the age of the characters but in this flick it works as their age is pretty much worked in the script and there isn't any romantic subplot with female characters like there often is in films like this because let's face it nobody really wants the see that. 

The movie also has a great supporting cast with Vincent D'Onofrio and Faran Tahir. 

Vinnie Jones is also in the film as the lead henchman of the Warden and deserves credit for his contributions to the films that he plays in.

This flick is what It is. I honestly want to say that I felt like I was a kid again watching an action flick but this is a different day and age and the flick is definitely worth checking out with a six-pack and a good stogie.

12 Dead Bodies
0 Breasts
3 explosions
9 on the testosterone meter

Definitely check it out


No comments:

Post a Comment